Monday, January 29, 2007

This I believe

I know we listened to the "Be Cool" in class, but I really liked it, so I listened to it again. Alot of us are so used to having all these technologies that we take advantage over it. He mentioned how we always call people on their home phone, but now, all we ever give and take are cell phone numbers. All the stress makes them age quicker. He says "cool people stay young forever". He is cool because he gets enough sleep and works with people who like to work with him too. He says that being cool isn't what you say or do but HOW you say or do. Alot of stereotypes of being cool make you do what everyone does, but you're only cool because you do what you do. If you would like to listen to it again, here it is: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6946089

I listened to "I believe my husband will call me tommorow" This was all about believeing in her husband, having faith, keeping hope, keeping her mind set and focused on what's in front of her and believe that tommorow will come. It seems as though her nights are long, but she always believes that the sun will rise, and morning will come again. Having some one you love in the millitary must be tough. I can't say that I know how she feels because I don't. My dad isn't enrolled in the army so I wouldn't know, but what I know is her will to believe. I know how it feels to "must believe" like she said in the end. In her essay, she expresses sorrow in the form of belief. Here it is: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6834622

"I always have a choice" is about a lady fighting ALS. I have researched this disease once previoulsy for a project, and am still very knowledgable about it. Also known as Lou Gherig's disease, this disease kills the motorcells in your body, and your muscles slowly atrophy and you just get weaker and weaker. This lady looks at it positively and tells us that she has a choice. She can look at it as a death sentence, or another way to learn about her self. She writes alot, but when she can no longer type, she speaks into a microphone on the computer that analyzes her voice. She is very optimistic, and that gave me something to think about. I once heard this quote "If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change the way you look at it." And this is exactly what she is doing. The ALS is destroying her muscles, but it cannot destroy her mind and way of thinking. ALS only destroys the muscle and motorcells, but the person is just like everyone else in the head. A person with ALS can still think normally, so even if she cannot move everything, she will alsways be thinking optimistically. Here's the link: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6560320

No comments: