Sunday, January 28, 2007

Common Place Entry

This is related to something I saw on TV. I was watching “The Fresh Prince of Belair” starring Will Smith. His cousin in the show, Carlton, a nerdy type of guy, is in a rich family and Will lives there temporarily with Carlton and his family. It’s a comedy, but everyone is black, or African American. And in that episode, Carlton and Will were trying to join a fraternity, and the pledge leader of the fraternity said Carlton “wasn’t brotha enough to be a brotha” and that he didn’t like “sell-outs”. The pledge leader made that assumption because he was rich and spoke proper English. Carlton, being a calm, hopeless, nerdy kind of guy surprisingly stated back: “You think I’m a sell-out. Why? Because I live in a big house or dress a certain way? Being black isn’t what I’m trying to be; it’s what I am. I’m running the same race and jumping the same river as you are so why are you tripping me up? You said we need to stick together but you don’t even know what that means. If you ask me, you’re the real sell-out.” This quote really gave me something to think about. It’s hard to explain why, but it’s just so true. I can’t say what it is I’m feeling now, but for the first time, watching my favorite comedy show actually made an impact in my thinking, taking on a new perspective of things. I guess we all make these stereotypes and race jokes too often. If you dress a certain way, you’re considered white, if you talk a certain way, you’re black, and if you have a Spanish last name, you illegally came in to America. But that’s not how it is. Sure, sometimes it’s true, but making these assumptions and jokes sort of is standard amongst us today. At school, a lot of what you hear is “Yeah, cuz you’re white” and all these racist jokes. Sometimes there are critics who say “Why you gotta be like that man?” and some people answer “It’s not mean mean. It’s funny mean.” But that only applies to the person who says it. No one else.

1 comment:

Michael said...

Wow. You turned the fresh prince of bel air into some kind of... lesson...
Well anyways I agree that you are stereotyped according to your race. Every so often people ask me "Do you eat dog?" when they find out I'm filipino. It's odd because my response is "Do YOU eat dog?" But its different, because I'm filipino and they're not, so it feels sort of wrong for me to ask that to them but ok for them to ask that to me. So I think that Carlton IS sort of being stereotyped. My original response was that Carlton DOES act white, with the tux and the proper english, but then I realized that I'm guilty of those same stereotypes. You're exactly right, that we stereotype all the time. The sad thing is, we dont even know we're stereotyping half the time, it sort of comes naturally. Like I never thought of this before, but whenever I see JJ, I say "Ni hau mau, John Jiao". I guess I'm guilty of stereotyping that since hes chinese he understands the language chinese. And I'm chinese too, so that stereotype is even worse.